20 January 2013

Writers support Borumba Dam to overcome Brisbane River flooding

 
2011 flood at Goodna - Can these disasters be eliminated?
 
Borumba plan too brilliant to pass up
REPORT ("A simple plan but dam smart", SM, Jan 13) about the Borumba Dam was simply a brilliant practical plan to stop the perpetual problem of sustainable water supply and river flooding. The three men who worked on this should be thanked by the State Government. This is the type of future planning we expect of our governments. I hope the Government locks in this plan.
Greg Manchester, Mountain Creek
 

 
Dam proposal sets long-term target
THE Borumba Dam proposal is a great idea despite the cost, and it would almost certainly ensure a major Brisbane flood would never happen again. I believe when it was originally proposed politics and economics blocked it, along with a deal with a Japanese consortium that holds leases over most of the timber in the valleys above the dam. If this is correct, it again shows how short-sighted our strategic planners are for any deep-water mountain dams.
The new proposal, in the long term, would save money, much potential misery from any future flood, and ensure a reliable supply of water to southeast Queensland.
Ken Moncrieff, Stafford Heights
 

 
Hard for politicians to rise to occasion
I HAVE been to Borumba Dam on many occasions, and have always believed it was ideally situated to be raised.
However, to get the necessary approvals would require politicians to have the ability to think outside of the square.
George Mooring, Hervey Bay

 
 
Flood memories stir sympathetic support
I READ with interest your report on the plan to take water from Wivenhoe to other areas. I would strongly support any such plan.
I was a victim of the 1974 flood in Goodna. My home was under 20m of water and I am quite sure it would have been under the same height in the flood two years ago.
My late husband would not return to that house after the 1974 flood so when it was finally fixed it was sold and I feel for the people who now own that property.
You can imagine that I now do not live anywhere near water.
At that time we waded out of our street with water up to my armpits - and I was pregnant at the time.
Surely something can be done to ensure this plan goes ahead, as I feel that it will most definitely help all those people living in the flood areas.
Mrs V Gray
 
 
20.1.13