11 January 2013

Goodna battler's unbreakable spirit

GARGANTUAN TASK: Goodna resident
Cuong ‘Chin’ Van Tran at work
on his home in 2011.

THE symbol of sheer determination and human spirit from the 2011 floods is epitomised by the Goodna flood hero universally known as Chin.

Chin, also known as Cuong Van Tran, spent eight months sleeping in a tent in his lounge room with wife Nam and daughter Men in the aftermath of the floods. But now he has rebuilt his five-bedroom home with 95% of the repairs completed.

Chin and his family became national symbols of the floods when they were pictured out the front of their home with an Australian flag attached to a giant jacaranda tree and the words 'Thank you Australia' written on it.

The family appreciated the support of volunteers in the clean-up, but since that time Chin has battled against great odds to restore his home to its proud former state.

Chin fled Vietnam in 1979 after being persecuted by the government of the day.

He came to Australia by boat and through sheer hard work built up a spare parts auto business that was also wiped out by the floods.

Denied flood insurance over a technicality, he has scoured auctions for materials and with the help of friends and the community has transformed his home.

"I thought I wouldn't be able to do it. But slow and steady I worked day and night. I kept going," Chin said.

"I'd wake up at two o'clock or three o'clock in the morning and start to do the job. I did most of it myself and with my wife. What else could I do? I had no money to pay for labour. Now it is 95% done.

"Some of the materials were donated and some of them I bought myself. But I had to re-mortgage my house to do it. I had some great help from my friends and community support. They knew I was very tired."

But his efforts have come at a cost. Chest pains due to stress saw him rushed to hospital with suspected heart trouble and he is now too sick to work. His wife also has battled illness.

Doctors have told Chin his illness has likely been caused by "too much stress". That has meant that the final touches on his home must wait until he recovers fully.

Chin took the QT on a tour of his home and he has done an outstanding job.

The room upstairs where he and his family once lived in a tent has been transformed into a stunning living room. Chin still remembers the hard times as though they were yesterday.

"Three days after the flood we put the tent up and we lived in it for eight months. It was very tough on my family," he said.

"Now because my wife is in so much pain she finds it hard to walk up here. So we still live downstairs."

Talk to Chin and the appreciation that inspired his message on that famous jacaranda tree in 2011 still lives on.

"The community has really supported me," he said, as he gazed at his restored home.

www.QT.com.au

11.1.13